The Benefits of Pre-Surgical Rehabilitation
Recover Faster With Pre-Surgical Rehabilitation
It is natural to feel a bit worried about an upcoming surgical procedure. You may wonder how the surgery will go or how long the recovery period will be. A recovery plan will most likely require physical therapy treatments following surgery, in order to relieve your pain and regain your function. However, many people are not aware that you can complete pre-surgical rehabilitation (or “pre-hab”) treatments to help your body prepare for the upcoming surgery. Post-surgical functional outcomes are usually improved in patients who have sought treatment before surgery. For more information on pre-hab and how it can benefit you, contact Athletic Advantage Physical Therapy today!
Your surgeon should recommend pre-surgical rehabilitation in order to improve the outcome of your surgery. Studies have shown that beginning physical therapy a month or so before undergoing a surgical procedure can greatly decrease your recovery time. Preparing for a surgery can be anxiety-ridden – but a pre-hab program may be able to put your mind at ease. Pre-hab treatment plans provide you with everything you need to be as physically and mentally prepared as possible for your procedure.
6 benefits of pre-hab:
There are six essential keys to pre-surgical rehabilitation and how it can help improve your recovery:
- Reduced pain. Pre-hab can greatly reduce your pain following surgery. This can be done through a variety of methods, including ice and heat therapies, exercise, or massage.
- Shortened recovery. Pre-hab allows for a much smoother surgical process. Having strong and toned muscles before surgery helps you get back to your regular routine much easier and quicker than it would without.
- Improved outcomes. The American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) states that pre-hab can improve the overall outcomes of surgery and it can even help in saving money if everything goes smoothly. If your muscles are strengthened prior to surgery, it is more likely that the surgery will be successful and the recovery time will be shorter.
- Reduced complications. Pre-hab incorporates targeted exercises to help increase your strength and endurance. As a result, this can improve your immunity, meaning that the chance of infection after surgery is much lower.
- Increased stamina. It is no secret that any surgical procedure will result in a loss of strength as your body is recovering. However, pre-hab can help in reducing how much strength is lost by increasing your stamina before the operation. In turn, this will make the recovery process much smoother since there will be less strength lost.
- The possibility of avoiding surgery. Sometimes, pre-hab treatments can even eliminate the need for surgery altogether. While this is not always the case, some patients have actually found that their pre-hab treatments were sufficient enough in reducing their pain that they canceled their procedure. If your pre-hab treatments are successful in decreasing your pain and improving your function, you may save yourself from invasive surgery. If your condition begins to improve considerably after starting your treatments, you’ll want to consult with your physician regarding future treatment options and the possibility of avoiding the unnecessary procedure.
Contact for more details to Athletic Advantage Physical Therapy at Allen, TX.